Footboard Blanket Chest ~ lots of pictures!

A few weeks ago we bought our first table saw, and since then Hubs has really been putting it to work.  I was in desperate need of somewhere to put all my blankets and pillows, so Hubs drew up some plans for a footboard chest for me.

001

I am always impressed with how he just comes up with this stuff off the top of his head.  We took our weekly trip to our favorite home improvement store and gathered all of our supplies.  We used every saw we owned during this project!

IMG_2473

We started by cutting the sides, top, and bottom out of the 4 x 8 sheets of plywood.

IMG_2474IMG_2486

Then we added the legs to sturdy things up a little.  I love using the air nail gun!

IMG_2487

Next, Hubs worked on cutting the trim/molding pieces for the look he wanted.

IMG_2492

It is starting to come together now….although I thought it looked more like a coffin than a chest.

IMG_2496

Of course Miss Brown Dog had to help carry the wood pieces to the scrap pile for us.  She loves to carry anything!!

IMG_2543

Willow was so funny about the nail gun.  She would put her nose right up to it to see what was going on.  She has no fear!  (Harley was hiding on the whole other side of the back yard!)

IMG_2561

While Hubs was putting the finishing touches on the design of the chest, I headed inside to cover the seat cushions….of course I couldn’t do it without a little help from The Boss Man.

IMG_2572

Really!?  I need you to get off the batting so I can measure and cut it!!

IMG_2581

Well, moving to the side is better than nothing. Smile  I used the boards Hubs had cut for me to trace out the amount of foam batting needed for each cushion.

IMG_2582

It was a booger to cut because It was 2 inches thick, but well worth it when I was done!

IMG_2583

Once my two pieces were cut, I took a little break to play with The Boss Man.  I just love that he is 8 years old and still loves to play and has such a sweet little kitten face!  I play with him any chance I can get.

IMG_2584IMG_2589IMG_2593

Now that he is tuckered out, I can finish what I was doing.  I cut my fabric to be 2 inches longer than the foam on each side.

IMG_2594

Finally, with Hubs Help, we stretched and pulled the fabric around the edges and stapled it to the plywood piece that Hubs had pre-cut.

IMG_2595IMG_2597

All that’s left is the finishing touches!  We used a piano hinge across the back length of the chest.

IMG_2598

I tested my cushions to make sure they fit….perfect!

IMG_2599

Hubs added some little details to the front legs.

IMG_2600

It works!!

IMG_2601

Hubs added some extra support hinges to the insides to help hold the (very heavy) top up when you are trying to put things in the chest.

IMG_2606

We started by trying to stain the inside blocks of the chest, but ended up not liking the look and just painted the entire thing black (which matches our master bedroom furniture).  I am so glad we did because I love the final look!

IMG_2607IMG_3853

Hubs found these beautiful pieces of hardware at the local antique fair to add an extra special touch to the finished piece.

IMG_3856IMG_3857IMG_3854

I am in love with this piece, and even more impressed with my Hubs’ skills.  He completed this project in a weekend!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s