This week has been so fun, and hopefully you are getting lots of ideas for how to have your own Homemade Holiday. So far I have shared the Sweater Ornaments, Felt Rosette Ornaments, Musical Ornaments, and Easy Jute Ornaments. Today I want to share with you an extra special ornament – The Crochet Star Ornament.
These little ornaments are extra special for me because it wasn’t that long ago that my sweet Grandmother taught me how to crochet. A couple of summers ago, I sat down with my grandma and asked her to please share her amazing talent with me. I feel blessed to be able to take this skill and pass it on for future generations!
This little crochet star is super simple to make and I popped out 1/2 a dozen of them on the way home from Florida over the Thanksgiving Holidays. These are not only a great addition to my home-made tree this year, but also are a super sweet addition to gift wrapping as well.
1. Using a size G/6 crochet hook, start by making a foundation chain of 5.
2. Join with a slip stich to the first chain to form a ring.
3. Round 1 – ch3, 2dc, ch3, *3dc, ch3. Repeat from the * 3 more times. (5 dc clusters and 5 ch3’s total). Join with a slip stich to the 3rd ch of the starting ch3.
4. Round 2 – Slip stich into the next 2 dc and into the first ch3 space. ch3, 2dc, ch3, 3dc in the ch3 space. 1 hdc in the 2nd dc of the next dc cluster. *3dc, ch3, 3dc, in next ch3 space, 1hdc in 2nd dc of next dc cluster. Repeat from * 3 more times. (10 dc clusters and 5 ch3’s total). Join with a slip stitch in 3rd chain of starting ch3.
5. Round 3 – Slip stitch into next 2 dc and into first dc ch3 space. Ch3, 3dc, ch4, 4dc, 1sc on either side of hdc from previous round. *4dc, ch4, 4dc in next ch3 space, 1sc on either side of next hdc from previous round. Repeat from * 3 more times. (10 dc clusters and 5 ch4’s total). Join with a slip stitch in 3rd chain from starting ch3.
6. Fasten off and weave in the ends.
7. Cut a length of ribbon about 6 inches long, make sure the ends are very “pointy”.
8. Weave the ribbon into a button and tie into a loop for hanging.
9. Slip the button through a hole on one end of the crochet star. Hang.