If you know me at all, you know I love Mexican food. This soup was no different. I especially loved cooking the chicken in the crock-pot while I was at work, because it made dinner that night so much easier to put together.
- 2 cups cooked chicken breast
- 1 tablespoon less-sodium taco seasoning
- cooking spray
- 2 – 14 ounce cans fat-free chicken broth
- 1 – 16 ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup green salsa
- 3 Tablespoons of reduced fat sour cream (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley (optional)
- 1/4 cup regular salsa
- 1/4 cup water
1. Mix the regular salsa and water together and add to the bottom of a crock-pot. Set the chicken breast on top of the salsa and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours. Shred the chicken once cooked.
2. Combine the chicken and the taco seasoning; toss well to coat.
3. Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat and coat the pan with cooking spray. Add the chicken and sauté for 2 minutes or until the chicken is lightly browned.
4. Add broth to the saucepan and scrape the pan to loosen the browned bits.
5. Place beans in a small bowl and mash until there are only a few whole beans left.
6. Add beans and green salsa to the pan, stirring well. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until slightly thickened.
7. Optional: Top each serving with 2 teaspoons of sour cream and a sprinkle of parsley.
You will absolutely love this comfort food. It makes a thick and rich soup that is perfect for a cool summer evening.
4 Weight Watchers Points+ Value per serving.