I can’t believe the weather here in Georgia…it goes from snowing, to 70+ degrees in less than a week! We have been craving some lake time, so we cleaned up the boat and slipped on over to Lake Lanier for a family evening on the water.
I knew the hubs would be hungry so I whipped up some homemade broccoli mac and cheese for a dinner on the boat!
Its super simple, quick, and travels nicely in small containers. Plus you get to toss in that serving of greens too…can’t beat that! Enjoy!!
Broccoli Mac and Cheese
- 12 ounces elbow noodles
- 2.5 Tb light butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 oz sharp cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz fresh broccoli florets
- 1/8 cup grated parmesan
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 t oregano
- cooking spray
- In a small bowl, mix together parmesan, bread crumbs, and oregano.
- Cook pasta to al dente (about 8 minutes) – do not overcook since it will continue to cook slightly in the oven.
- Put broccoli in a microwave safe dish with 2 Tb water – cook for 7 minutes.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large heavy skillet, melt butter. Add onion and cook over low heat for 2 minutes.
- Add flour and cook another minute or until flour is golden brown and well combined.
- Whisk in milk and chicken broth, raising heat to medium-high and bring to a boil.
- Cook about 5 minutes whisking constantly, or until the sauce is smooth and thick.
- Season sauce with salt and pepper.
- Remove sauce from heat and stir in cheese.
- Combine noodles, broccoli, and cheese sauce and then pour into baking dish.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture on top and bake for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Broil for a few minutes to brown the bread crumbs.